Metal flashing is often used to seal out water at vent pipes, around the area of the chimney, sometimes over exposed windows, as well as along the valleys of the roof where botch pitches of the roof meet. IN order to prevent flashing to leak, it is imperative that you inspect it every spring season. If you happen to see thin gaps or spots along a metal flashing joint, try spreading a roof cement coating over the entire joint. Apply the coating generously using a trowel. Make sure that the flashing edge must be completely covered.
At the chimney area, carefully inspect the metal flashing. The flashing around the chimney is often installed in two parts, which is the cap that is mortared into the bricks of the chimney and the base that covers the chimney’s bottom part as well as extends onto the roof. If the mortar that is holding the cap metal flashing tends to crumble or if the metal flashing has pulled loose, you will have to make a move so that your metal flashing will be re-secured. If this is the case, it is strongly recommended that you hire a professional residential roofing contractor.
Here are the steps on how to re-secure the metal flashing around your chimney:
- Pull the lip of the cap metal flashing out of the joint mortar only as it comes easily. Be careful not to yank the entire metal flashing out. Apart from that, make sure that you don’t completely pull it away from the chimney. The lesser you have to separate the flashing, the simpler it will be to repair.
- When the metal flashing is already out of the mortar joint, carefully clean out old mortar using a chisel and hammer. In this case, you have to wear safety goggles so that your eyes will stay protected as possible. After that, be careful not to create any damage to the metal flashing and with a wire brush, clean out any debris that you can see on the mortar joint.
- Wet the mortar joint using a paintbrush that is dipped in water. After that, fill the mortar joint firmly with cement mortar with the help of a small trowel.
- When the mortar joint is already full, press the metal flashing’s lip into the mortar, in the same position it originally was. After that, press the metal flashing firmly but you have to be careful not to push too push as it can pop back out and if that happens, you will need to start all over again. Then, let mortar dry naturally as directed.
- When mortar joint is fully cured, you will have to caulk around the joint and over the cap metal flashing’s lip using a butyl rubber caulk.
If this method doesn’t work well for you, it is imperative that you hire a professional Hialeah roof repair contractor. Expert roofers have undergone extensive training and years of experience to perform highly satisfactory roofing services.